Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bald Eagle Watching


The Bald Eagle is a bird of prey found in North America. It is the national bird and symbol of the United States of America. This sea eagle has two known sub-species and forms a species pair with the White-tailed Eagle. Its range includes most of Canada and Alaska, all of the contiguous United States, and northern Mexico. It is found near large bodies of open water with an abundant food supply and old-growth trees for nesting.

The adult Bald Eagle is mainly brown with a white head and tail. The sexes are identical in plumage, but females are larger than males. The beak is large and hooked. The plumage of the immature is brown. Bald Eagles are not actually bald, the name derives from the older meaning of the word, "white headed".

Quoted from my favorite unreliable internet source – Wikipedia. So, why the interest in Bald Eagles, you might ask. As it just so happens, my parents have moved to the “Land Between the Lakes” area of Kentucky.  The fishing is good, the weather is mild and the eagles like to nest there.  These great birds have found a home among the tall pines near the banks of the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers.  Which is convenient for me and my photographic urges.  I like to pretend to take great pictures. Sometime I get lucky and get a few good ones.

This past weekend I got lucky.  Here are a few pics that I captured near the Calvert City Airport. Yes, the airport.  It’s a small non-commercial strip which seems to be the perfecting landing zone for an eagle.  There is also a nearby pine grove with a huge eagle nest.  HUGE, let me say that again.  How they manage to keep it all up in the top of a tree is beyond my knowledge.

If you want more information and to view some more pictures (luckier folks than I took them) then here’s an interesting, fact-filled website to check out. Bald Eagle Info




 

2 comments:

Quilting Grannie said...

Beautiful!! And the bald eagle is our country's bird. The one with the wing spread is really a good one. I may steal it from you.

Kathy Cretsinger said...

Those are beautiful. The one soaring is my favorite.

Google Search Results